Friday, April 11, 2008

Zimmer named 1A/2A PJ Star "Player of the Year"

(Peoria Journal Star photo)

IWU recruit Jordan Zimmer was named 1A/2A "Player of the Year" by the Peoria Journal Star. There is a ton of small school talent in the Journal Star's wide coverage area, as evidenced by the quality of past POY winners...

2008 - Jordan Zimmer, Delavan (Illinois Wesleyan)
2007 & 2006 - Carlton Fay, Putnam County (Southern Illinois)
2005 - Ryan Burks, Midwest Central (Elmhurst)
2004 - Micah Lavender, Peoria Christian (Olivet Nazarene)
2003 - Chad Cox, Macomb (?)
2002 - Nathan Koster, Lewistown (Western Illinois)
2001 - Jake Sottos, Monmouth (U. of Hawaii)
2000 - Barry Welsh, Abingdon (Western Illinois)
2000 - Rhet Wierzba, Farmington (Austin Peay)
1999 - Seth Nelson, Farmington (Nebraska-Omaha)
1998 - Shawn Jeppson, Hall (Illinois State)
1997 - Travis Lewis, Williamsfield (Louisiana Tech)
1996 - Ryan Knuppel, Midwest Central (Elmhurst)


Complete story

PJ Star 1A/2A All-star team


Few is the number of high school basketball players given the chance to play in college at the Division I level. Even fewer is the number of those who pass on the opportunity.

Early this past season, Delavan senior Jordan Zimmer was extended an invitation to attend Saint Louis University as a walk-on player. The Rick Majerus-coached Billikins were even more interested shortly after Delavan's season had ended."

(Assistant coach) Porter Moser called and said they wanted to come up and watch me work out again," Zimmer said. "I had already thought a lot about it and told him I was no longer interested."He asked me if they offered a scholarship, would that make a difference," Zimmer said. "I said 'thanks but no' and told them not to waste the trip. I had already made my decision."
-----
"My dream coming into the season was to get a Division I scholarship, but eventually I realized the level I was going to play in college wasn't the most important thing," Zimmer said. "Wesleyan is close to home, and Division III feels right for me. It feels more like (small school) basketball. It feels more like Delavan."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home