Wednesday, November 21, 2007

ONU 97 IWU 79


Last night we saw a big, strong veteran team beat up on a very young team. In a couple years, when guys like Doug Sexauer, Edmond O'Callaghan, and Matt Schick all have 20+ more pounds of muscle on their frames, the Titans will be physically dominating, much like Olivet Nazarene was last night. Until then though, this group will get pushed around a little by stronger, bigger teams. Last night's game was a perfect non-conference test for the Titans, as teams like Augustana and Elmhurst are every bit as physical as ONU.
---
Outsized or not, I will say that the Titans are going to have to learn to play harder and smarter on defense. Through three games there have just been way too many wide open 3-point looks. That is troubling.
---
My biggest positive takeaway was the play of freshman guard Travis Rosenkranz (pictured). When Travis is in there, the Titans are just simply a better team offensively - the ball seems to move around much more efficiently. The fact that Travis started the 2nd half vs Olivet Nazarene leads me to believe he will take over the starting point-guard duties Saturday vs Dominican...a role he should handle very well for four years.
---
If Travis does indeed move into the PG spot, the question becomes, "Who is out?" Obviously, either Sean Johnson, Jordan Morris, or Matt Schick will become a reserve. For what it's worth, I like Johnson as the starting 2 because of his ability to handle the basketball and I think his upside as a scorer is huge. I like the thought of Rosenkranz and Johnson together in the backcourt because as a tandom, they can really break down opposing defenses off the dribble. So for me, it comes down to Morris and Schick, and I could really see both sides. Morris is a scoring threat, but Schick does so many little (important) things well.
---
Last night should not be a surprise to anyone - ONU was just a better team. Remember Titan fans, PERSPECTIVE is the key this year. With those four Final Four banners hanging from the Shirk Center rafters and memories of all of IWU's CCIW titles, don't forget just how incredibly young this team is. I think we will see this group get better and better as the season goes on...I'll bet things look a lot different Saturday vs Dominican.
---
I am heading to Kiawah Island, S.C. tomorrow morning to spend Thanksgiving with my fiancee, Rosemary, and her family and will miss the Dominican game. All reports are welcome, Titan fans - feel free to e-mail me at bobquill@aol.com. I will be looking for some scoop this weekend. Have a great Thanksgiving!

1 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, November 21, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Bob,

I agree completely about your comments about Travis. My friends and I stayed the night in town before heading home on break to watch the game and it seemed like he could really make things happen. Plus, I had the opportunity to be sitting behind his grandmother who is a really nice lady so he's got that going for him too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home