Thursday, February 05, 2009

Duane L. Sampen, 1936 - 2009

Jordan Zimmer's grandfather, Duane Sampen, passed away yesterday morning. Mr. Sampen (Class of 1959) played basketball for the Titans...incidentally with my father, who graduated in 1957.

Last year I traveled to Delavan's state playoff game vs Putnam County to watch IWU recruit Jordan play...along with several CCIW coaches who also made their way to Dee-Mack H.S. that night. I remember meeting Duane Sampen after the game, as all of the coaches wrestled to talk with Jordan. While Coach Giovanine (Augustana) was speaking with him, I asked Mr. Sampen something like, "So where do you think Jordan is going to end up?", looking over at the conversation taking place. He smiled, kind of winked, and said, "He'd look good in green wouldn't he?" The way he said it and the look in his eye said it all. On the way home I told Coach Stein, "I think we're in good shape."

I'm sure I speak for the entire IWU community in extending sympathies to the Sampen and Zimmer families on the loss of one very proud Titan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home