Thursday, January 24, 2008

IWU 63 Wheaton 60 (1/23/08)

Just a good, old-fashioned Titan CCIW win at the Shirk Center. That was a heck of an effort by the guys and just a huge game on so many fronts.

You know, most people are going to refer to that one as an "upset", but I don't think it was. I need to see more games play out, but I think there is a good chance that IWU is just simply a better team than Wheaton. The Titans certainly do not have anything remotely resembling superstar Kent Raymond, but they're deeper and more balanced. Wheaton is a 3-man team. After Raymond (22.6 ppg), who is an All-American of course, Wiele (14.3 ppg) and Panner (14.7 ppg) - who are very good), who are very good supporting players, the Thunder just don't have that much. The Titans have 7 players averaging between 6 and 14 points in CCIW play...

Sean Johnson 13.8 (perimeter)
Brett Chamernik 12.3 (post)
Darius Gant 11.3 (post)
Travis Rosenkranz 11.0 (perimeter)
Jordan Morris 9.5 (perimeter)
Sean Dwyer 6.8 (perimeter)
Doug Sexauer 5.8 (post)

IWU has very nice inside/outside balance offensively. On defense, they're getting better - last night was by far their best defensive effort of the season.

If you erase preseason expectations (Wheaton as a "contender" and IWU as the 7th place team out of 8) and just watch the two teams play, I think most would agree that it is at least a push, and if a push, IWU should have won at home last night. And they did. Wheaton will be favored at King Arena on Feb. 16.

Great win. Sean Dwyer's defensive effort last night was one of the best - maybe the best - defensive performances I have ever seen from a Titan. When I came down to the floor to get him for the WJBC postgame show, I told him I was proud of him. I think I spoke for all Titan fans.

Gotta find a way to win at North Park now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home